For Environmental, Social and Economic Sustainability Performance
The four-star Grafton Hotel located in the heart of Dublin 2 has been awarded the BREEAM certification, following an assessment process of environmental, social and economic sustainability performance, using standards developed by BRE.
BREEAM is the world’s leading sustainability assessment method for master planning projects, infrastructure and buildings. It recognises and reflects the value in higher performing assets across the built environment lifecycle, from new construction to in-use and refurbishment. For the hotel to be recognised for its efforts means that BREEAM rated developments are more sustainable environments that enhance the well-being of the people who live and work in them, help protect natural resources and make for more attractive property investments.
The Grafton Hotel is committed to reducing its carbon footprint and are always looking for ways to increase their sustainability efforts. The management team headed by General Manager Brid Cloonan meet regularly to ensure the continuous improvement of green initiatives throughout the hotel, whether it be through energy conservation, recycling and waste management.
What The Grafton is currently doing?
- Energy Resources: introduced metering optimisation, this provides an opportunity for the hotel to use the waste heat from electricity generation.
- Replaced all fluorescent bulbs with LEDs. There are PIR sensors throughout the building in most areas.
- They are also in the process of installing online metering to give real-time data as to what the hotel is achieving and where can be adjusted.
- Leak detection systems and metering are used throughout to ensure wastage is minimised.
- Appliances such as dishwashers and washing machines are low flow models to make further water savings.
- All guest bathrooms are fitted with sensors and low flush technology.
- The hotel has a proactive approach to recycling – all glass, cardboard, plastic bottles, aluminium cans, paper & food waste are all sorted and collected for recycling.
- Glass crushers are used for all bottle waste, reducing glass volume waste up to 80%.
- Paper/recycled coasters and beer mats are used throughout the hotel as well as paper straws.
- Reduced single-use plastics in all guest bedrooms.
- Guest rooms are fitted with wall mounted refillable vegan-friendly options rather than single-use shampoos/conditioners and soap.
- The LUAS stop is minutes from the hotel entrance to take staff and takes guests directly to key visitor attractions in Dublin. This also links with other transport hubs.
- Cyclist facilities are provided outside the building and cycle parking is located close to the hotel. The Dublin bikes scheme and other local amenities are within walking distance of the hotel.
Contemporary Art Deco inspired, The Grafton is one of Dublin 2’s newest four-star hotels, designed for city stays for business, couples, friends and families. Primely positioned adjacent to South King Street, a minute from Grafton Street and St Stephens Green, the 127 bedrooms hotel reopened in August 2021 under the new management following a complete refurbishment.
In terms of sustainability, the hotel is committed to reducing its carbon footprint and is dedicated to the continuous improvement of green initiatives throughout the hotel, whether it be through energy conservation or recycling and waste management. As well as the BREEAM certification, the hotel is also in the process of securing the green tourism accreditation. Visit https://www.thegrafton.ie/about-us/sustainability/ and www.breeam.com.
The Grafton Hotel 31/32 Lower Stephen Street, Dublin 2